Thursday, May 17, 2012

In Egypt!

We finally made it to Cairo.  I'm so jet lagged I'm completely confused about what day it is and what time it is back home.  It feels like I've just been awake for so many consecutive hours.... and I have no sense of time.  With that said, I think I'm tired but unable to sleep because everything is so beautiful.

Our hotel is legitimately incredible.  It's really a first class resort.  I love the people and the food, but up on the balcony you can see past the walls they have erected for tourism.  Past the walls is the barren desert.  I want to see more of that.  Staying in a fake resort seems so opposite of the reason I want to be here.

There are a few things very different from America here.  First, cigarette smoking is allowed almost everywhere.  Very different.  Also, there is a beday in my hotel room.  I discovered this on accident when I turned the knob for the beady intending to flush the toilet and water shot out and hit the mirror.  Quite shocking.

Today is Thursday here and we have slept a little and had breakfast.  We talked with our Hotel Lounge Manager about Egyptian politics and the revolution.  She was so interested in our opinions.  She very much supports Amr Moussa-- the more conservative, experienced candidate.  She also spoke of how the tourism industry has been affected by the revolution and how she feels there is a lack of nationalism in Egypt.  As she put it, at one point in time Egypt was a great, powerful country and all Egyptians should see the potential and want to get back there.  They should have hope for their country and confidence that, maybe not right away, but eventually the revolution will take effect and democracy will ensue.


1 comment:

  1. Please post photos! So glad you are there. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete