Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Layover in Turkey

I have made it to Turkey! The flight was pretty long, but Turkish airlines was far superior to any domestic airline and I was very comfortable.

The Turkish airport has been a bit of a struggle.  Our professor, Dr. Hamad, told us we should purchase entry into a lounge-- this includes showers, food, wifi, the works.  There's a catch to the lounge though, you have to pay with a visa card (something I was not immediately equipped with).  They do not accept any form of discover card or currency. To make a long story short, my traveling buddy, Ian, and I got stuck in the airport wandering around trying to figure out someway to enter the lounge.  It was frustrating but overall a neat experience.  I didn't think about how difficult something like using a pay phone would be in a foreign airport.  We did meet an Italian designer, who was traveling from California to Moldavia.  She was helpful in finding a solution to entering the lounge.

At long last we made it in, thanks to help from some friends.  It was definitely worth the wait as they serve sushi and fresh, hot food-- definitely an oasis in our travel thus far.

We leave for Cairo at 12:30p.m. Turkish time, so for those in America it will be around 5:30.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you got it worked out and I like how you see the positive in this experience.

    ReplyDelete